Botch - American Nervoso (2007)
This Saturday marks the first of two Record Store Days planned for 2013 (the second finding its way into the annual shit-fest of America, more commonly known as Black Friday), with the first shaping up rather nicely in comparison to years past. While bands across all genres have come out of the woodworks to offer up b-sides, collaborations and previously unreleased materials, some of the most promising and intriguing vinyl releases will be offered up by longstanding metal and hardcore labels. The cream of the crop in those regards will be Botch’s 1999 debut American Nervoso, which will see a deluxe 2xLP release compliments of Hydra Head Records. The RSD-exclusive release will feature the album re-mastered in its entirety, as well as five bonus tracks (the majority appearing to be demos of the album’s material). The release will also feature the album’s original artwork.
For many, American Nervoso served as one of the most driving and moving records of the hardcore scene that quickly gained momentum in the early 2000’s. As the album still possesses the raw emotion and frustration felt by Botch’s members at the time of its recording, it is likely to be one of Hydra Head’s more prominent RSD releases despite a hefty back catalog. Following its initial release, American Nervoso revealed Botch as one of the more technical hardcore acts that stood apart from the breakdown-ridden bands of the time. Although Botch’s eventual disbandment resulted in the formation of other groundbreaking acts (Narrows, Russian Circles), their definitive sound remains heralded and will not want to be missed by vinyl enthusiasts this weekend.
Other RSD releases to keep your eyes peeled for include:
• Between The Buried And Me - Parallax 1 & 2 boxset (Metal Blade Records); three LPs, including multi-colored splatter, blue/white marble and gray/white marble.
• Between The Buried And Me - The Anatomy Of (Victory Records); first pressing on limited edition, colored vinyl.
• Cave In - Until Your Heart Stops (Hydra Head); long-out-of-print debut receives a repress on 2xLP.
• Deftones - Live: Volume 1 - Selections from Adrenaline (Warner Bros.); four tracks recorded live at Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, NY on October 13, 1996.
• Earth Crisis – Firestorm (Victory Records); limited edition, colored vinyl.
• Deep Purple / Type-O Negative - Side by Side: Highway Star (Roadrunner); 7" clear and deep purple opaque-colored vinyl.
All Record Store Day 2013 Releases can be found here.
For Fans Of; Coalesce, Cave In, Daughters, These Arms Are Snakes, Narrows